Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Saturday Grab Bag - On Laziness


You may have noticed that a lot of the blog posts here arne't vrey pollished. They may seem like they've been whipped together without too much thought, aren't focus-grouped or even very edited. This is for two reasons, the first one is that I'm a lazy person, the second is that I'm a lazy DM.

Laziness doesn't have to be a bad thing. Sometimes I notice dungeon masters spending what I consider far too much time prepping for a game. RPGs don't need intricate maps, miniatures, they just need a group of friends hanging out, telling a story together. Laziness can help you realize where your time is best spent, and not turn your favourite hobby into a chore.

I write this blog the same way I prep for a DM session, I formulate ideas and some starter concepts. When I'm actually at the table I try to go with the flow and improvise. I expand on what works at the table, and shrink down what doesn't. That's what I expect people to do with what I write here. Get inspiration, use it as a jumping off point? But don't get carried away with preparation. Remember to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment